Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In Memory of my Grandpa

I miss my Grandpa.

He passed away and entered eternity on April 13th at 12:45pm. He was 84 He was the greatest Grandpa and I will miss his laughter, smile, joking, fun, and care.

My Grandpa was a hero. He was a US Army Ranger--a Paratrooper who jumped out the airplane 30 times onto Korean soil. He was scarred by his traumatic experiences during the Korean War, specifically seeing his best friend killed right before his eyes. Those memories stayed with him throughout his life and in his last couple years, his PTSD truly manifested. I am proud that my Grandpa fought for freedom and that he was in an elite force--Army Rangers. I have a shirt that he gave me when I was 12 that says "My Grandpa was a Para-Trooper". I remember that when he gave it to me, I didn't truly understand the meaning behind it. But now, I do.

My Grandpa was intelligent, an inventor with patents, and a writer. He was funny, caring, and loved life! His adventurous nature was always with him.

He was always so proud of me and so supportive. Out of his mouth came encouragement that I could do anything that I put my mind to.

Some of my fondest memories in the recent years was his love of my children. He came to see them the day they were born. It was so important to him to be there the day they were born. He raved about my kids and loved playing with them.

I recently found a letter from my Grandpa that he wrote to me in Spanish (I was in honors Spanish and he wanted to help me learn). He wrote that I am his beautiful, intelligent grand-daughter. My Uncle who made our fabulous wedding video had my Grandpa speak on camera about me---he told the story of the epic basketball shot that I took when he said "I'll give you $20 if you make this shot". To see him tell that story on video brought me joy and tears. That was our ongoing inside joke/memory that happened almost 20 years ago.... and up till 2  years ago, we were still laughing about it.

I love you Grandpa, you were the best and I look forward to seeing you again in Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment